Dubai has been put into the world map since its economy starts to boom. Today, almost any Australian associates this emirate with luxurious lifestyle, variety of tourist attractions, and gravity-defying skyscrapers. However, Dubai is more than that.
If you wish to establish a new career in Dubai, before you contact Dubai movers to relocate your items, what you would want to do first is to get to know more about this great emirate. Below are some random and interesting facts about Dubai that you may find enjoyable.
1. Dubai’s Burj Khalifa is the tallest man-made structure in the world to date. This skyscraping structure currently holds the world record for most floors in a building – 163 floors. It also houses the world’s highest restaurant, which is located on the 122nd floor of the building, the world’s highest nightclub, which can be found on the 144th floor. Burj Khalifa’s fountain is another record-holder as it is known for being the most powerful and biggest automated fountain in the world today. The fountain can shoot water up to 130 metres high or as high as a 50-storey building.
2. According to 2013 census, only 10 to 15 percent of Dubai’s population is made up of Arab UAE nationals, and the rest is composed of expatriates. Roughly 85 percent of the expats’ population in Dubai is made up of Asians (51 percent Indian, 16 percent Pakistani, Bangladeshi nine percent, and Filipinos three percent). British expats make the largest group of Western expats in Dubai. As of 2013, there are about 100,000 British expats in the emirate.
3. Dubai’s rail network is among the world’s most topnotch. The Dubai Metro system is currently the world’s longest automated rail network. The system boasts that it can run 87 trains without needing a driver. The system was inaugurated and opened at 9:00 PM on September 9, 2009 (09/09/09).
4. The Dubai Mall is another world-record holder. This gigantic mall is currently listed as the world’s largest shopping mall based on total area, and listed as fourteenth largest by groos leasable area. The mall is home to at least 1,200 shops.
5. Gulf Cooperation Council nationals need not to apply for visa, while citizens from the United Kingdom, United States, Australia, New Zealand and other Western European and Far Eastern countries are entitled to a free 30-day extendable visit visa upon arrival.
6. Drugs are illegal throughout Dubai and people who are caught possessing or using illegal drugs are met with stiff and severe penalties. While people can consume alcohol in licensed restaurants, bars, and clubs, it is not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages around town. Dubai also have stiff laws when it comes to drunk driving.
7. The temperature in Dubai at nighttime low at around 10 degrees Celsius from December to March. Daytime high is usually at 49 degrees Celsius from June to August. Tourists who want to visit Dubai are advised to visit from October to April.
In addition to mentioned random facts, Dubai has likewise been known for being a magnet for foreign workers, professionals, and business people. Because of the emirate’s blossoming economy, its job market is among the world’s most diverse and healthy. Hence, it is no news that many foreigners from different parts of the world are aspiring to start a career in the emirate.
If you are sure about taking a leap of faith and moving to Dubai, don’t forget to contact Dubai movers so you don’t have to worry about your belongings that you cannot personally bring with you when you travel. Aside from that, all you have to worry about is how to adjust with Dubai’s colorful and unique culture and home sickness. Nevertheless, Dubai will surely welcome you with unique experiences and endless career opportunities.