The Amazon River is one of the mightiest rivers in the world. Covering 4,007 miles from the Peruvian Andean Mountains into the Atlantic Ocean, it is the world’s largest river in terms of water volume holding as much as the next 10 of the world’s largest rivers combined and the second longest. It is 120 miles wide and 50 feet deep. Here are 10 facts you ought to know about the Amazon River.
1. The Amazom River is located in South America. It passes countries like Peru, Colombia, Brazil, Guyana, Bolivia, Venezuela, and Ecuador.
2. The Amazon River is quite an impressive body of water especially when you look at it from the top place. It stretches 4,000 miles and 120 miles wide during the rainy reason.
3. The Amazon River is not a great place to go swimming because it is home to the piranha, one of the deadliest animals in this body of water. The piranha is a meat-eating fish and attacks its prey in groups. So be very careful when treading its waters.
4. In contrast to other countries with a river, the Amazon does not need a bridge because the water flows on the forest and not on the road.
5. Manaus, the largest city in Brazil, lies in the Amazon River. It has a population of not more than 1.7 million residents.
6. Aside from the piranha, the Amazon River is home to another deadly animal—the anaconda. It attacks people and animals that is near to the shallow water.
7. The Amazon River is home to a variety of fishes. It has been found out that its waters is home to over 300 species of fish.
8. The running water of the Amazon River emanates from the Lago Villafro in Peru. It is often called the “River Sea” because of its width and length.
9.The honor of being the first man to bravely sail the surface of the Amazon River was Vicente Yanez Pinzon in 1500. Forty two years later, Francisco de Orellana also travelled along the river.
10. The Amazon River serves as the trail of transportation. The local people will use some traditional means of transportation such as wooden river craft and basal craft to travel along the Amazon.
So there you have it. Some facts about Amazon River that you need to know if you plan to appreciate and see its wonders.