Planning to travel abroad? If you are, then make sure that you secure international medical insurance for travel for yourself. There are huge benefits that can be derived from getting overseas travel health insurance. The small investment you will make can save you a lot of money in case you get hurt or sick abroad. At the same time, having international medical insurance can give more flexibility with your options. For instance, you can opt for a private doctor or hospital if the public one is already overcrowded. Likewise, some policies can fly your family to you and bring you back to your place of residence upon recovery.
Another advantage of getting international medical insurance for travel is that health care can be quite expensive in some parts of the world. The United States has the most costly health care system. You can get yourself into debt without an overseas travel health insurance. Here are some do’s and don’ts you need to bear in mind when getting overseas travel health insurance.
- Get insured in advance so that you can have time to undergo medical tests if required
- Make sure you get coverage for the entire duration of your stay overseas as well as in all the countries you are visiting
- Be aware of your insurance coverage. Some policies may not only cover hospitalization but also travel-related risks such as loss of passport, cash, and baggage, as well as repatriation costs.
- Do inform the insurance provider about any preexisting conditions prior to signing your policy. The provider may not cover some of your claims.
- Check with your credit card company. They may have travel insurance as one of the privileges of members.
- Buy health insurance only from a registered insurance provider
- Conceal facts from the provider or you may end up in a dispute when filing a claim
- Never sign a blank proposal or leave any portions blank
- Never leave without understanding the terms of your insurance policy. You need to be clear on the following:
- The policy term and premium paying term. They are different from each other
- Surrender values of your policy
- Returns and bonuses
Overseas travel can be risky. Bear in mind that each country may have their own system in providing international medical insurance for travel. Just follow these tips and you can look forward to a worry free travel to your destination.